Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Airship Design: Thunderbirds Are Go!

Hi Sam,

I though put this out there before we meet on Thursday.

 I was a little stuck on my layout, I wanted to begin the tower this week but I was really struggling with all the separation of different passenger types/ baggage/ apron services etc. After a day of stalling and not getting anywhere I decided to spend a little time working on the structure just so I was doing something at least (even though you said not to work in so much detail.) I also spent time looking at further precedents, both real and speculative, in Airport and Airship design so when I returned to my terminal it would be with a different perspective.


-Structure-

For the structure I took precedent from the airship hangar close to the site, modifying the model I had produced of the hangar to fit a grid for my initial plan, which is constructed on similar principles to the frame of an airship hull. The line work below is one module based upon the principles of this structure which can then be repeated.

Grade II listed  airship hangar adjacent to the site


One module of my own steel structure.

An image of the inside of an airship hull, showing
the void between the helium bags and the hull. Initially
 looked at as roof inspiration but will come back in a bit later.

Towards the end of this, I don't know why but I began to get preoccupied with what drawing style my project was going to take on so I spent a small amount of time producing the image below, using a combination of the quick steel structure and the initial Sketchup model I have been working on whilst working through my ideas.


Steel frame quickly applied to my model with line work and shadows exported to create a quick stylised render.


-Precedents-

Although I have a couple of reference books on Airport design and have initially decided to plan my Airport in a linear method I decided further precedents were needed, below are which have tweaked my thinking behind my layout.

The first precedent which really struck me was Drive Through Airport by Buro Fur Mehr. This totally changes the gate system, reducing the amount of passenger circulation by moving the aircraft instead. This got me thinking about my tower circulation in new ways which weren't just the reconfiguration of the plan which you can find in the books that I have found on airport design.

Drive Through Airport Diagram by Buro Fur Mehr 
http://www.dezeen.com/2012/06/23/drive-through-airport-by-buro-fur-mehr/

Drive Through Airport Render by Buro Fur Mehr 
http://www.dezeen.com/2012/06/23/drive-through-airport-by-buro-fur-mehr/


The second precedent of note was the  I looked at was the Aeroscraft ML866. Although not particularly inspiring imagery the principle of one hull being used for multiple uses was one which intrigued me and something I had been struggling with in terms of my brief with the different users of the airships commuters, sleepers, economy, cruise etc. This would be impossible to achieve with one hull.

Aeroscraft ML866

These are just the highlights, I have produced a little A4 PDF with all the precedents I looked at this week.


-Thunderbirds Are Go!-

So based upon the precedents previously, I began to think about how I could innovate airship design. As I mentioned last week the current teardrop shape fulfills all the necessary requirements, changing the aerodynamics of an airship would be a largely cosmetic change with no real substance/reasoning behind it other than affecting the image of airship travel, which may be something that is needed?

As I was stuck on tower element due the to amount of separation and circulation required, I wondered if this was something that could be solved by the design of the airship itself. Back to this image:

An image of the inside of an airship hull, showing
the void between the helium bags and the hull.
This is the space below the helium bags in a rigid airship which is where all the accommodation services etc. are located.  When there is nothing filling this void it is still there to maintain the aerodynamic properties of the teardrop shape. This got me thinking what if this part of the hull was interchangeable? Creating the main hull which provides the propulsion/buoyancy onto which a different pods could then be attached.

The best way I can describe this is using Thunderbird 2, which has different pods equipped for different needs, in a similar way to which my airship design would.





Full video of the Thunderbird 2 launch sequence.
 (more for fun than anything else relevant part is at 00:24)


-Tower Structure-

Taking this pod system and applying the principles of the Drive Through Airport, where by the pods are detached could then resolve my issues with my tower planning issues, as well as making for a rapid airship turnaround. Below is a slightly picture of diagram on my wall in my room.

Diagram highlighting the location of the pods and circulation within the tower.

Basically I envisage that an airship would dock and the pod would be removed, then it would be serviced and passengers disembark while the next pod complete with passengers baggage gets fixed to the main hull. Hope this makes sense,

-Other News-

I have started a 1:200 Site Plan on the wall of my room for when I start getting down to that scale, infact every wall of my room seems to becoming engulfed by this project.



I have been writing this post on and off since Monday but I will attempt to have more tower stuff by tomorrow.

Thanks,
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment