Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Farnborough And Its Aviation History - Andrew Badley CDP

Hello Sam and All,

So I have really been struggling to get going with the project, I feel like I was a bit all over the place but I have decided to narrow my research back down to just one area for the moment and explore it fully before moving onto any other ideas. This area which I think has the most promise for the most interesting and engaging final project is actually in my home town of Farnborough. I have been exploring its aviation heritage, its current contribution and its potential future contribution (Virgin Galactic). From this I have explore wider topics that have grown from these starting points.

Farnborough is the home of British aviation and has been one of the key sites in the world in relation to aviation development. As such it has an array of listed buildings surrounding it's airfield. These predominantly consist of a series of wind tunnels which were used in the development and design of both Concorde and Spitfire, to name just two. Farnborough is also home to a Grade II listed airship hangar which was a part of the RAE airship program.

Airship Hangar Frame (Grade II Listed), Farnborough


Airship Hangar Farnborough (1911)


I have found researching both Farnborough's contribution to the airship program and in turn the use of airships both by the military and commercial sectors fascinating and believe it could potentially be the spark of a program which will be both interesting and stimulating for the whole year, I'm just not sure what yet. The other aspect of the airfield I have been researching are the facilities of historical importance on the north side of the airfield, primarily the wind tunnels, this is something which I hope to do more thoroughly over the coming week, along with some more presentable analysis of the airfield.

The wind tunnels recently hosted an art exhibition for which this cool website was made which walks you through each of the listed buildings (http://thewindtunnelproject.com/venue/q121/) and some additional images just to start:

Farnborough Wind Tunnels - Wind Tunnel Project (2014)

Farnborough Wind Tunnels - Wind Tunnel Project (2014)

Farnborough Wind Tunnels - Wind Tunnel Project (2014)

Farnborough Wind Tunnels - Wind Tunnel Project (2014)

Farnborough Wind Tunnels - Wind Tunnel Project (2014)

In terms of a site, the Airfield its self is large and has experienced development on its periphery over the last ten years. All the research facilities are located at the north side of the airfield along with the airship hangar this could provide a location for a site, but as could the more remote woodland areas that border the airfield could also provide a location for a site. See the image below:

Google Earth view of Farnborough Airfield.

Having spoken with Geraldine, around my thesis last year which looked predominantly at those who used the medium of drawing not building to try and change architecture or the way which we think about architecture, and how they went about that. I hoping that this will tie in with any idea I eventually take forward and develop into a project.

I know it's not much but it is a start,
Andrew.

Also... this project is amazing, exactly the place I would like my project sit: http://bldgblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/lightning-farm.html

No comments:

Post a Comment